Family benefits in international situations

Kela also pays benefits to families with children in cross-border situations. Such benefits are, for example, maternity grant, child benefit, parental allowance and child care allowance.

From other countries to Finland

If you move to Finland from another EU or EEA country or from Switzerland, family benefits are paid by your country of origin until the end of the month of your move. Your eligibility for family benefits from Finland starts from the beginning of the month following your move. You must always notify the institution that is paying you family benefits in your country of origin that you have moved to another country or started to work in another country.

From Finland to another country

You must always notify Kela if you move abroad or live outside Finland, even if only temporarily. You must also notify Kela when you have returned to Finland. Your eligibility for family benefits from Kela when living abroad depends on whether you are moving abroad on a temporary or permanent basis. Employment abroad also has an effect on the payment of benefits.

Further information