Returning to Finland

  1. Notify Kela if you return to Finland. If you are still covered under the Finnish social security system, it is enough to call a Kela's customer service points to let us know that you are returning to Finland.
  2. You can also notify your return to Finland online (available in Finnish and Swedish only).
  3. However, if you are no longer covered, you must apply for coverage on Kela form Y 77e. Send your application to Kela's Centre for International Affairs.
  4. You can also apply for coverage online (available in Finnish and Swedish only). Once in Finland, you will be eligible for social security benefits right away if you intend to live in Finland permanently.

To qualify for parental benefits or for national pensions, you will have to meet certain residence requirements. If you moved to Finland from another EU/EEA country or from Switzerland, you will normally be able to count any periods of insurance completed there towards the Finnish residence requirements. For more details about specific benefits, see the section titled Payment of benefits.

Read more