The remote service in connection with the interpreter service for the disabled provides service in the Finnish sign language as well as in spoken Finnish and Swedish. In certain situations for instance spoken English can also be used. Through the chat function you can also send written messages.
The remote service is available to persons who are entitled to interpreter service for the disabled.
Via the remote service you can
Contact the remote service.
The service is open Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm.Connect
- book an interpreter, provide further information or cancel a booking
- give feedback
- get advice regarding questions related to the entitlement to interpreter service
- handle short interpreting assignments via the video remote interpreter service.
How to use the remote service
- Contact the remote service.
- When you use the remote service for the first time you may have to adjust the camera settings on your device. More detailed instructions (in Finnish, pdf).
- After a few seconds a video connection to a customer service advisor who knows sign language will open.
- If the service is busy, the web browser will show a written message about this. Please wait for a customer service advisor to become available without disconnecting. You can also disconnect and try again later.
If the settings of the video connection are not correct, you can change them by clicking the cogwheel button. After you have checked the Settings menu, the video connection for the session will be downloaded again and there will be a few seconds interruption in the video connection.
To use the remote service and the video remote interpreter service you need a smartphone, tablet or computer with
- a microphone, speakers or headphones, and a video camera
- web browser Google Chrome (version 64 and newer)
- enough bandwidth (1,200 kbit/s) for video
At present the remote service cannot be used on devices with iOS as operating system.
The service is open between 08:00 and 16:00 Monday to Friday.
The service is closed on New Year’s Day, Epiphany (6 January), Good Friday, Easter Monday, 1 May, Ascension Day, Midsummer Eve, Midsummer Day, All Saints’ Day, Independence Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day (26 December).
View video presentations in sign language:
Remote service (in Finnish)
Video remote interpreter service for short assignments (in Finnish)
If the connection does not work, you can try to empty the browser history. If you cannot solve the problem yourself, you can contact Kela’s technical support by e-mail at tekninentuki(at)kela.fi.
Technical support can be reached by phone at 020 634 7787 on working days between 07:00 and 17:00, and as regards error reports at all hours.
If a computer that you have been granted from Kela is lost or stolen, you must contact the technical support immediately.