How to claim conscript's allowance | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

How to claim conscript's allowance

Claim conscript's allowance online

Claim allowance
  1. Submit your claim online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only. You can claim basic assistance, housing assistance, special assistance or assistance for the interest due on student loans. Maintenance assistance is claimed on the application form for the conscript's allowance Sotilasavustus (SA1 in Finnish, PDF).
  2. Scan or take a photo of any supporting documents and send them online.
  3. Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.

Alternatively, you can complete and print out the application form for the conscript's allowance Sotilasavustus (SA1 in Finnish, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

If, after you were granted housing assistance, you get for example an electric bill for which you need assistance, complete a new claim online and submit the bill along with your claim.

Kela obtains salary information from the national incomes register. Kela uses this data when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.

Who can claim conscript’s allowance

  • Housing assistance is claimed by the conscript. However, if the conscript has an eligible family member, he or she should claim the housing assistance.  The conscript cannot claim it on the family member’s behalf.
  • Assistance with the interest on student loans is claimed by the conscript and their family member. Each claims assistance for interest payments on their own loan.
  • Basic assistance and special assistance are claimed by the conscript’s family member.
  • Maintenance assistance is claimed for the conscript’s child. The claim should be signed by the person who has custody of the child.

Required documents

Housing assistance

  • details about your family’s earnings (for example a copy of wage statement).
  • copy of your rental agreement if you are applying for assistance for a rental apartment*
  • proof of payment if the current amounts of rent, maintenance fee and any separately paid heating costs are not indicated in other documents accompanying your claim (such as the rental agreement)*
  • electricity or gas bill. Be sure to provide all pages of the invoice.
  • statement by the creditor showing the amount of interest paid on housing loans. The statement must show the current balance of the loan and the percentage rate of interest.

* If your landlord has an arrangement with Kela to provide rent information electronically, you need not include with your claim a copy of your rental agreement or a statement about the amount of the rent. List of landlords who provide rent information to Kela electronically.

Basic assistance

Details about your family’s earnings (for example a copy of wage statement).

Special assistance

Details about your family’s earnings (for example a copy of wage statement).

Maintenance assistance

  • Copy of the maintenance agreement if child maintenance allowance is being paid for the child
  • Information about earnings for the person in active service (for example a copy of the wage statement)

Interest payments on student loans

  • Details about earnings (for example a copy of the wage statement)
  • A notice from the bank or proof of payment if interest is paid monthly

When to claim

You can submit your claim one month before you will enter service. The claim cannot be submitted earlier than that because of the possibility that your circumstances could change before you enter service. Conscript’s allowance cannot be claimed retroactively, which means that the earliest that Kela can grant the allowance is the beginning of the month when you submit the claim.

If you apply for assistance with student loan interest payments and the payments are due every six months, you must apply for the assistance separately for each interest payment period. Submit the application no later than the month that the interest is due. If your student loan interest payments are due to be paid monthly, you only need to submit one application. For example, if you apply for the assistance for student loan interest payments starting in January, the application must arrive in Kela in January. Conscript’s allowance may only be granted for interest payments that are due while you are in service. Learn more about conscript’s allowance for student loan interest payments.

Granting the conscript's allowance

Kela can grant the conscript’s allowance starting from the date of entry into service (though not before the beginning of the month in which the claim was submitted). Conscript’s allowance is payable until the end of the month in which the conscript is discharged or the service is interrupted for at least 14 days.

If eligibility arises during the service, Kela can grant the conscript’s allowance starting from the first day of eligibility.

If a person in refresher training for reservists or in supplementary training is entitled to the conscript's allowance, Kela can pay it all at once after the training either to the person or their family member.

Kela sends the data on conscript’s allowances paid out to the national incomes register within five days of the date of payment.

Report changes in your circumstances

Remember to report any changes in your circumstances to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly. Payment of the allowance can be affected by such events as changes in income or housing costs or the birth of a child. You can report the changes online, by telephone or by visiting any Kela's customer service point.

Read more

Last modified 12/1/2024

What do you think of this page?