EU Disability Card
The EU Disability Card is optional. Its purpose is to help persons with disabilities communicate and engage with others both in Finland and within the EU. A 10 euro fee is charged when the card is issued.
The card makes it easier for persons with disabilities to indicate their disabled status and their need for an assistant for example in public transport or at cultural and sports events.
Who can apply for an EU Disability Card?
You are eligible to receive an EU Disability Card if you have received a notice of decision granting you one of the following benefits or services. This means that you do not have to obtain a new decision just to apply for an EU Disability Card.
Benefits and services provided by Kela:
- Disability allowance for children under 16 years of age
- Disability allowance for persons aged 16 years or over
- Care allowance for pensioners
- Interpreter assistance for persons with hearing impairment (A)
- Interpreter assistance for persons with hearing and vision impairment (A)
- Interpreter assistance for persons with a speech impairment (A)
- Decision on daytime activities outside the home provided under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Decision on transport services provided under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities
- Decision on mobility assistance (transport services) provided under the Social Welfare Act
- Decision on travel companion service (A)
- Vision Impairment Card (A)
- Agreement on informal care (the Disability Card is issued to the person cared for by an informal caregiver) (A)
- Decision on assisted living under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities (A)
- Decision on personal assistance provided under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities (A)
- Decision and services based on a special care programme (A)
- Decision on special support (A)
- Decision on respiratory paralysis (A)
(A) = You are entitled to have the A symbol marked on your card. The symbol shows that you need a companion or support person who will accompany you.
Send your application to Kela
Kela checks that you are eligible to receive an EU Disability Card. After that, you can access the card distributor’s ordering system to place an order.