How to claim private day care allowance | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

How to claim private day care allowance

Private day care allowance can be claimed by one of the parents or by other guardians. However, the allowance is always paid directly to the private caregiver or the provider of early childhood education.

Claim the private day care allowance online

Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.

Claim now
  1. Use the OmaKela e-service to claim private day care allowance. Please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish. You can claim all child care allowances on the same form.
    • Enclose a notification regarding the day care provider (form WH 2e, available in English PDF) or ask the early childhood education provider to file a notification online
    • If you have entered into a contract of employment directly with a private day care provider, you  should request a statement from the local authorities (municipality) on the form, saying that the local authorities accept the day care provider in question. Also enclose a copy of the contract of employment.

  2. When you have completed the claim, the summary page lists the necessary supporting documentation. Scan or take a photo of any supporting documents and send them through OmaKela. Please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish.
    • If you claim care supplement, you must also fill in the family's gross income.
      • Kela gets information on wages and benefits from the incomes register or from payers. Kela uses this information when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.

      • You will be asked to provide supporting documentation with the claim. For example, if you are self-employed, you will be asked for information on self-employment income form Y 8e (PDF) and the other supporting documents listed on the claim.

    • State the pre-allowance amount of the day care fee, i.e., the amount shown in the day care contract. Indicate the fee separately for each child.

  3. Visit the OmaKela e-service to see if your claim has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see possible reminders concerning, for instance, any documents missing from your claim. A written decision on your claim will be sent to you by post.

Alternatively, you can complete and print out the application form for Child home care allowance / Private day care allowance WH 1e (PDF). Send your claim by post along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

If you live in the Åland Islands you should claim private day care allowance from your municipality of residence.

When to claim

It is worthwhile to claim the allowance immediately when you have made a contract with the day care provider. However, claim the allowance at the latest within 6 months of the start of the private day care arrangement.

Report changes

Remember to report all changes in your circumstances in regard to the private day care allowance to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly.

If you wish to end payment of the allowance, you can do that in OmaKela. You can also contact Kela by phone.

Read more

Last modified 26/2/2024

What do you think of this page?