Report changes | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

When is it necessary to review a benefit?

Large and small changes in circumstances can affect the Kela benefits.

For some benefits just reporting the change is enough, but for some benefits you must file an application to review the benefit. Some benefits also have to be applied for again every year. Find out what changes you must report to Kela and how to do so.

Check your information and report changes in your circumstances

When you are applying to Kela for a benefit, you must make sure that all the information you provide is correct. You also have an obligation to report changes. If you do not report changes, you may be paid benefits you are not entitled to. In that case they will be recovered from you later. You may also lose benefits that you are entitled to.

You should thus without delay report all changes that affect either the benefit amount or your entitlement to the benefit.

These situations include:

  • a change in income
  • a change in family circumstances
  • a change of residence
  • Work or stay abroad.

Report changes and ask for a review of your benefit in the OmaKela e-service or on a Kela form. If you cannot handle the matter online or on a form, call Kela, make an appointment for phone service, or visit a customer service point.

Contact Kela if you are unsure about whether a certain change could be relevant to your eligibility.

If you provide Kela with false information

If Kela suspects fraud, the case will be referred to the police for investigation. We do this even if you pay back the benefit that Kela has paid to you on false grounds.

Fraud may be suspected if someone

  • supplies erroneous information
  • knowingly withholds information that would affect the benefit
  • intentionally fails to report a change in circumstances that would affect the payment of the benefit.

Changes that must be reported, by benefit

Check the webpage for the relevant benefit to find out what changes you must report to Kela. The pages below describe how some of the most common changes in circumstances, such as moving or changes in income or family circumstances, affect Kela benefits.

How to report changes in the OmaKela e-service

You should keep your personal information up to date to ensure that your matters are handled swiftly and that you can be reached when necessary.

Tell Kela if your phone number or email address changes. If we need to ask your further information, we will contact you by phone.

If your personal identity code changes, Kela gets the details directly from the Population Information System.

Tell Kela if your bank account number changes. You can give one bank account number for all benefits, or different account numbers for specific benefits.

Provide the new account number by updating your information in the OmaKela e-service. Please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish.

You can provide the new bank account number also by completing and printing out the form Notification - change of account number Y121e (PDF). Mail the form to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

Provide your account number in the IBAN format.

You should not close the old account before the first payment has been paid into the new account. This is important especially in the case of benefits that are paid regularly.

Tell Kela if you start living together with someone or separate from your partner. That could affect such benefits as housing allowance or social assistance.

If you get married or enter a registered partnership, Kela gets the information directly from the Population Information System.

Last modified 27/3/2024