How to claim reimbursement for medical expenses
Usually you get a reimbursement for the cost of examinations and treatments ordered by a doctor in private practice directly at the place of care. If this is not the case, you can claim reimbursement from Kela afterwards.
Reimbursement for medical care expenses cannot be claimed online. The claim and any supporting documents must be sent to Kela by mail.
- Enclose with the claim forms filled out by the treatment provider which indicate the treatment given by a doctor or the examination or treatment ordered by a doctor.
- Send your application online. A guardian can apply for rehabilitation on behalf of their child in the OmaKela e-service.
- Save the completed claim form on your device. Note that the claim must be in PDF format.
- . Please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish. Select Tee hakemus.
- Select Sairaanhoito ja lääkkeet and then Hae sairaanhoito- tai lääkekorvausta.
- Select the claim on your device and press Lähetä.
- When you send your claim online you don’t need to sign it.
- If you have supporting documents, sent them via OmaKela after you have submitted your claim. If they are paper documents, you can photograph or scan them.
Another option is to send the application by mail:
- Sign the application and send it with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
- Visit Kela's e-service to see the total amount you have been reimbursed for private health care during the calendar year. You can also look up the Kela reimbursements provided to you as a direct reimbursement.
When to claim
File your claim within 6 months of the original expense.