Sickness | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

Did you fall ill?

  1. To be able to apply for sickness allowance, see a doctor
    If your incapacity for work lasts longer than the waiting period, you can apply for sickness allowance. To qualify for sickness allowance, you need a medical certificate showing that you are incapable for work. 
    Read more about the sickness allowance.
  2. Find out if you are able to return to work on a part-time basis
    If you are employed, find out if you could work part-time. Working shorter hours and adapting work to your health may promote healing. You can apply for partial sickness allowance for the period of part-time work.
    Learn more about the partial sickness allowance.
  3. Prolonged illness

    If you are ill for more than 60 working days, you need a medical statement B or other documentation showing your incapacity for work. Submit the statement or documentation to Kela. If you are employed and your illness continues for more than 90 working days, you need a statement from the occupational health doctor to get sickness allowance. Submit the statement to Kela. 

What else is going on in your life?

Large and small changes in circumstances can affect your Kela benefits.

  • Do you have a long-term illness or a disability diagnosed by a doctor?

    Find out if you qualify for disability allowance.

  • Do you need rehabilitation?

    Rehabilitation is a way to help persons with an illness or impairment to live a full life, continue working, or return to work.

  • If you are incapable for work for over a year

    Find out if you qualify for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension.

On the Sickness pages

What do you think of this page?