Self-employed person retires | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

Self-employed person retires

As a self-employed person you have to arrange pension insurance for yourself by paying pension contributions under the Self-Employed Persons’ Pensions Act (YEL) or the Farmers’ Pensions Act (MYEL). When you reach retirement age you can apply for an earnings-related pension from the pension provider with which you are insured.

If your earnings-related pension is small, you can also get pensions provided by Kela.

Earnings-related pension for self-employed persons

  1. The amount of the earnings-related pension is based on the reported income under the YEL or MYEL pension insurance schemes.
  2. Apply for an earnings-related pension from your pension provider (

The national pension provided by Kela supplements the earnings-related pension

  1. If your earnings-related pension is small or if you get no earnings-related pension, you can get a national pension from Kela. The old-age pension is a type of national pension intended for persons who have reached the age of 65 years.

The guarantee pension secures a minimum pension

  1. The amount of the guarantee pension is reduced by any other pension income the recipient may get from Finland or from abroad. Kela cannot grant a guarantee pension until you have applied for all other pensions.

Persons with low incomes can also get housing allowance

  1. If you are a pensioner with low incomes and you get for instance an earnings-related pension or an old-age pension provided by Kela, you can apply for housing allowance for pensioners.

Read more

What do you think of this page?