When a self-employed person gets ill | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

When a self-employed person gets ill

If you fall ill, you may have a right to sickness allowance or partial sickness allowance. In case of prolonged illness, possible benefits include rehabilitation subsidy and disability pension. The easiest way to apply for benefits for yourself is to use the OmaKela e-service (available in Finnish and Swedish).

If you become ill

  1. The amount of the allowance is based on an annual income. There is an online calculator (in Finnish) you can use to estimate how much your allowance will be.

Returning to work

  1. If you are able to work part-time in spite of an illness, you may be granted partial sickness allowance. The amount of the partial sickness allowance is half that of the sickness allowance.
  2. You can support your work capacity by arranging occupational health services for yourself or by participating in rehabilitation arranged by Kela or by the pension provider.

Prolonged illness

  1. Sickness allowance is usually payable for a maximum of 300 working days (about a year). In order to receive sickness allowance again for the same illness, the general rule is that you must have been fit for work for at least a year.
  2. If you remain ill and cannot work, you may be granted rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension. 

Do you still have questions?

Call Kela's customer service.

020 634 2650
020 634 2650
Last modified 6/6/2024