Social assistance | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

What to do if you do not have enough money for everyday expenses

  1. First apply for any other assistance to which you may be entitled
    Find out if you qualify for other financial assistance, such as housing allowance or unemployment benefits.   
    Learn more about housing allowance and unemployment benefits.
  2. Find out if you qualify for social assistance
    Use a calculator to see how much assistance you could get. 
    Go to the calculator (in Finnish and Swedish).
  3. Fill in an application
    Fill in an application for social assistance in OmaKela. 
    See ‘How to apply’.
  4. Apply for continued payment
    Social assistance is usually granted for a period of 1–2 months. If your income situation or other personal circumstances have not changed, you can apply for continued payment of social assistance in OmaKela.
    Go to OmaKela.

What else is going on in your life?

Changes to benefits in 2024

The general housing allowance and unemployment benefits are being reduced from April. The social assistance scheme is also changing.

Read more