Transition security allowance
The transition security measures are intended to support the employment prospects of people who lose their job after having reached the age of 55 years.
The transition security measures include transition security allowance, right to seek transition security training arranged by TE Services and paid leave to find employment that is longer than usual and that you have agreed on with the employer.
Eligibility for transition security allowance
You can get transition security allowance if
- you have been dismissed on financial and production-related grounds on or after 1 January 2023
- you have reached the age of 55 years before being dismissed
- you have worked for at least 5 years for the employer that dismissed you
When you have registered as a jobseeker, TE Services will investigate if you meet the entitlement criteria for transition security allowance. TE Services informs Kela or the unemployment fund about whether the criteria are met.
How much is the transition security allowance?
The transition security allowance is a one-off payment. The allowance is equal to approximately one month’s pay. You can get transition security allowance already during the notice period, even though unemployment has not yet started.
The transition security allowance does not affect the recipient’s eligibility for unemployment benefits or other benefits, with the exception of basic social assistance.
How to apply for transition security allowance
If you are a member of an unemployment fund, . You can get transition security allowance from the unemployment fund even if you have not been a member long enough to qualify for earnings-related unemployment allowance.
If you are not an unemployment fund member, apply to Kela for transition security allowance.
- Register with TE Services as a jobseeker within 60 days of the date of dismissal. Transition security allowance cannot be paid out unless you are registered as a jobseeker.
- (available in Finnish and Swedish):
- Log in to OmaKela and select Tee hakemus (Submit an application).
- Select Työttömyys (unemployment) and then Muutosturvaraha - tee hakemus (transition security allowance - file an application).
- Select the application form on your device and press Lähetä (Send).
- When you send your application online you do not need to sign it.
- At the end of the application there is a list of the necessary supporting documents. If you have supporting documents, send them via OmaKela after you have submitted your application. If they are paper documents, you can photograph them.
Another option is to send the application by mail. Sign the application and send it along with the supporting documents to the address Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
Visit the OmaKela e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when your benefits will be paid. You can also see possible reminders concerning, for instance, any documents missing from your application. You will also receive a decision by post if you have not given up paper mail.
Transition security training and leave to find employment
If you meet the criteria for transition security allowance, you can also participate in transition security training arranged by TE Services.
Participation in transition security training is voluntary. The training is commissioned by the TE Office or the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, and can last up to 6 months.
If you have lost your job on financial and production-related grounds, you can get paid leave to find employment during the notice period. The leave is intended for instance for independent job search or handling your matters at the TE Office. You must agree on the leave to find employment with your employer in advance.
The number of days of leave to find employment is determined on the basis of the length of the notice period. If you are covered by the transition security measures, the leave to find employment is 5 days longer than usual.