Transition security allowance | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

Transition security allowance

The transition security measures are intended to support the employment prospects of people who lose their job after having reached the age of 55 years.

The transition security measures include transition security allowance, right to seek transition security training arranged by TE Services and paid leave to find employment that is longer than usual and that you have agreed on with the employer.

Eligibility for transition security allowance

You can get transition security allowance if

  • you have been dismissed on financial and production-related grounds on or after 1 January 2023
  • you have reached the age of 55 years before being dismissed
  • you have worked for at least 5 years for the employer that dismissed you
  • you have registered as a jobseeker with TE Services ( within 60 days of the date of dismissal. The date of dismissal means the date when you received the notice of dismissal.  

When you have registered as a jobseeker, TE Services will investigate if you meet the entitlement criteria for transition security allowance. TE Services informs Kela or the unemployment fund about whether the criteria are met.

How much is the transition security allowance?

The transition security allowance is a one-off payment. The allowance is equal to approximately one month’s pay. You can get transition security allowance already during the notice period, even though unemployment has not yet started.

The transition security allowance does not affect the recipient’s eligibility for unemployment benefits or other benefits, with the exception of basic social assistance.

You must pay taxes on the transition security allowance.

How to apply for transition security allowance

If you are a member of an unemployment fund, apply to the fund for transition security allowance ( You can get transition security allowance from the unemployment fund even if you have not been a member long enough to qualify for earnings-related unemployment allowance.

If you are not an unemployment fund member, apply to Kela for transition security allowance.

  1. Register with TE Services as a jobseeker within 60 days of the date of dismissal. Transition security allowance cannot be paid out unless you are registered as a jobseeker.
  2. Complete the joint application form for Kela and the unemployment funds for transition security allowance at
    • Save the blank form to your device. Do not fill in the application directly in the browser, otherwise some of the information may not be saved.
    • Open the form with Adobe Reader and fill it in.
    • Save the completed form to your device. Note that the form must be in PDF format.
  3. Send the application using the OmaKela e-service:
    • Log in to OmaKela (available in Finnish and Swedish). Select Tee hakemus (File an application).
    • Select Työttömyys (Unemployment) and then Muutosturvaraha (Transition security allowance).
    • When you send your application online, you do not need to sign it.
    • Send supporting documents via OmaKela after you have submitted your application. If they are paper documents, you can photograph them.
  4. Visit the OmaKela e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when your benefits will be paid. You can also see possible reminders concerning, for instance, any documents missing from your application. You will also receive a decision by post if you have not given up paper mail.

Another option is to send the application by mail. Fill in and print out the form. Send the application and any supporting documents by mail. The address is Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

The decision notice is only in Finnish or Swedish. If you need help with something, you can call one of our English language customer service numbers.

Transition security training and leave to find employment

If you meet the criteria for transition security allowance, you can also participate in transition security training arranged by TE Services.

Participation in transition security training is voluntary. The training is commissioned by the TE Office or the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment, and can last up to 6 months.

Read more about transition security training (

If you have lost your job on financial and production-related grounds, you can get paid leave to find employment during the notice period. The leave is intended for instance for independent job search or handling your matters at the TE Office. You must agree on the leave to find employment with your employer in advance.

The number of days of leave to find employment is determined on the basis of the length of the notice period. If you are covered by the transition security measures, the leave to find employment is 5 days longer than usual.

More information about transition security measures is available on the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health (, in Finnish).

Do you still have questions?

Call Kela’s customer service.

020 634 2550
020 634 2550
Last modified 10/6/2024