Collection of healthcare fee for higher education students

Students who attend a traditional university or a university of applied sciences and who are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS) must pay a healthcare fee to Kela. Higher education students first paid a healthcare fee to Kela for the spring term 2021.

Collection of the healthcare fee

If you do not pay the healthcare fee by the due date, the fee is referred to Kela’s Overpayment Recovery Centre for collection and a fixed late-payment charge will be added to it.

The due dates are determined based on the date on which you have registered as attending.

For the spring term, the due date is 31 January provided that you have registered as attending by then.

  • If you register after that date, i.e. between 1 February and 31 July, the due date is 31 July.

The due date for the autumn term is 30 September 2021, assuming that you register as attending by that date.

  • If you register after that date, i.e. between 1 October and 31 December, the due date is 31 December.

How the collection will proceed

  1. Payment reminder
    • Kela will send you one payment reminder about the healthcare fee.
  2. Withheld from other benefits
    • If you do not pay the healthcare fee after you have been reminded of it, Kela can withhold the fee and the late-payment charge, i.e. deduct them from your study grant without your consent. You can ask for the fee to be withheld from another Kela you are receiving.
    • Withholding is not always possible even if you receive study grant. Therefore we recommend that you pay the fee unprompted.
  3. Debt collection
    • If you do not pay the fee or if it cannot be withheld from the study grant, the collection of the fee will be referred to the enforcement authorities.

Disagreement regarding liability to pay

If you disagree about your liability to pay the healthcare fee, you can request a payment outstanding notice regarding the healthcare fee from Kela. More details about requesting a payment outstanding notice is available at How to pay the healthcare fee in higher education.

When you have received the payment outstanding notice, you can file a rectification request with Kela. Instructions for filing an appeal are available at How to appeal a payment outstanding notice regarding the student healthcare fee.

Read more