Interruption in e-services on 19 September 2021 between 05:00 and 13:00, affecting the following identification methods: Aktia, Handelsbanken, Oma Säästöpankki, POP Pankki and Säästöpankki More information
Collection of healthcare fee for higher education students
Students in universities of applied sciences and universities who are entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (Finnish abbreviation YTHS) must pay a healthcare fee to Kela. Higher education students must for the first time pay the healthcare fee to Kela for the spring term 2021.
Paying the healthcare fee
Pay the healthcare fee to Kela for the spring and the autumn term, i.e. twice a year. No bill will be sent on the healthcare fee, and thus you have to pay the fee on your own initiative. More information on payment of the healthcare fee is available at How to pay the healthcare fee in higher education.
Collection of the healthcare fee
If you do not pay the healthcare fee by the due date, the fee is referred to Kela’s Overpayment Recovery Centre for collection and a fixed late-payment charge will be added to it.
The due dates are determined based on the date on which you have registered as attending.
For the spring term, the due date is 31 January, provided you have registered as attending by then.
- If you register after that date, i.e. between 1 February and 31 July, the due date is 31 July.
For the autumn term, the due date is 30 September, provided you have registered as attending by then.
- If you register after that date, i.e. between 1 October and 31 December, the due date is 31 December.
How the collection will proceed
- Payment reminder
- Kela will send you one payment reminder about the healthcare fee.
- Withheld from other benefits
- If you do not pay the healthcare fee after you have been reminded of it, the fee and the late-payment charge can be withheld from your study grant payments without your consent. You can also ask us to withhold the fee from some other Kela benefit you receive.
- Withholding is not always possible even if you receive study grant payments. Therefore we recommend that you pay the fee unprompted.
- Debt collection
- If you do not pay the fee or if it cannot be withheld from the study grant payments, the collection of the fee will be referred to the enforcement authorities.
Disagreement regarding liability to pay
If you disagree about your liability to pay the healthcare fee, you can request an appealable payment outstanding notice regarding payment of the healthcare fee from Kela. Instructions for requesting a payment outstanding notice are available at How to pay the student healthcare fee in higher education under Request for payment outstanding notice.
When you have received the payment outstanding notice, you can appeal against it by filing a rectification request with Kela. Instructions for filing an appeal are available at How to appeal a payment outstanding notice regarding the student healthcare fee.