Maintenance break in the OmaKela e-service on 18 August at 6–8 More information
Remote interpretation device provided by Kela
To receive remote interpretation, you need a smartphone, computer or tablet device as well as an online connection. You can borrow a suitable device from Kela if
- you are entitled to interpreter service for the disabled
- the situation in which you need interpreter assistance is compatible with remote interpretation and you agree to use remote interpretation
- you do not own a suitable device.
When you get a remote interpretation device from Kela, you will receive a personal user ID for the service. Provide your user ID each time you use the remote service available from the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled (i.e., Kela). You must make sure that the user ID is always used. If you use some other remote service, you need not state your user ID.
Device from Kela only for remote interpreting
Kela’s remote interpretation devices and online connections are granted for remote interpretation purposes only. The device can be used for remote interpretation obtained from a service provider or from the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled.
Kela follows the use of the video remote interpreter service. If Kela finds that you do not use the device often enough, the right to use it will be withdrawn. Sufficient use of the video remote interpreter service means using the video remote interpreter service at least 12 times during a period of 4 months.
The right to a remote interpretation device from Kela may be withdrawn also if you misuse it for some other purpose than remote interpretation.
While abroad, a remote interpretation device or online connection provided by Kela may only be used for remote interpretation. If you plan to travel outside the EU or EEA and wish to use a Kela-provided remote interpretation device, tell the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled in advance. Please note that if you do not notify Kela, your right to use the device may be withdrawn and you may be required to pay back any costs caused by its use.
How to apply for a device from Kela
- Fill in the form Vammaisen henkilön etätulkkauslaite TU 4 (PDF, in Finnish).
- Enclose with your application the expert statement form TU 7 (PDF, in Finnish).
- Submit your application online. Save the application and supporting documents as PDF files on your computer. Log in to Kela’s e-service at www.kela.fi/omakela (in Finnish) or www.fpa.fi/mittfpa (in Swedish). Select Vammaisten tulkkauspalvelu (Interpreting services for the disabled) as the subject of your message and attach the application and supporting documents to the message.
- You can also mail the application and the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
The device will be sent to you by mail
Kela will send you a remote interpretation device, for example a tablet computer featuring a camera, speakers and microphone. Kela will also provide you with a wireless 4G connection.
The device, including instructions for its use, will be sent to you by mail. Guidance in how to use the remote interpretation software is available on request.
When you no longer need the device, mail it back to Kela. The device is accompanied by a return envelope which you can use.
If you have problems using a Kela-provided computer that you cannot solve on your own, contact technical support by email to email@example.com.
Also contact technical support immediately if you misplace a Kela-provided remote interpretation device or it is stolen.