Basic social assistance for pensioners

Before applying for basic social assistance, find out if you have the right to various primary benefits for pensioners. They include the pensions paid by Kela, the housing allowance for pensioners, and the care allowance for pensioners. Also earnings-related pensions and any pensions you receive from abroad take precedence over basic social assistance.

If your pension and any other benefits you get do not cover your housing and living expenses, you can apply to Kela for basic social assistance. The care allowance for pensioners does not count as income for purposes of basic social assistance

Costs for assisted living

If you live in an assisted living facility arranged for you by the municipality, you may be charged a user fee in addition to the rent. You may also be charged a user fee for the social welfare and health services provided to you.

Some of such user fees (e.g. costs of seeing a doctor) can be accepted as expenses for purposes of basic social assistance provided that they are not waived or reduced by the municipality. Ask your municipality for more information about payment waivers. Enclose with your application for basic assistance a copy of the decision you received concerning user fees and service charges.

Read more