Who can get basic social assistance

Basic social assistance can be paid to any individual or family living or residing in Finland whose income and assets do not cover their essential daily needs.

Basic social assistance is intended for persons who are unable to make a living from work or self-employment, by receiving social security benefits, or by relying on their other income or assets. It is also intended for those who are entitled to maintenance payments but who are not supported by the person liable for maintenance.

How other benefits affect basic social assistance

Basic social assistance is a last-resort form of financial aid which is affected by all of the income and assets available to you. Other social security benefits are counted as income.

The fact that social assistance is a last resort means that you must attempt, to the best of your ability, to secure a livelihood for your family and yourself, and first claim any other benefits to which you may be entitled. Among the benefits provided by Kela, this includes unemployment benefits, housing benefits, pensions, financial aid for students, maternity, paternity and parental allowances, sickness allowance, child care allowances, and child maintenance allowances.

However, you can apply for basic social assistance if you have not received a decision on a claim for a benefit that takes precedence over social assistance, or if you have not yet applied for such benefits. Basic social assistance can also take the form of an advance against an anticipated benefit, in which case it is deducted from the other benefit.

All family income, assets and expenses are taken into account

When determining the amount of basic social assistance, the available income and assets as well as expenses of all family members are taken into account.

'Family' means parents living in the same household, minor children or adopted children, married spouses or cohabiting partners, and persons living in a registered partnership.

Persons sharing an apartment are not necessarily a family

Persons sharing an apartment may form a communal household but not necessarily a family. If they do not constitute a family they must apply for assistance separately. For example, friends who share an apartment each constitute a separate family and should apply for basic social assistance separately. Their income, assets and expenses are considered separately.

Adult children

Adult children are not considered to be part of their parents' family even if they live in the same apartment. They must apply for basic social assistance separately.

Minor children

Minor children can apply for basic social assistance separately if they live away from their parents. Kela checks the income and assets of their parents and considers the ability of the parents to provide maintenance for their children.

Read more