Student loan for adult students
If you receive adult education allowance, you can get a student loan guarantee from Kela. The adult education allowance is available from the Employment Fund. Please contact the Employment Fund for details.
You can be paid the adult education allowance if
- you have been employed or self-employed for at least 8 years
- your current job or full-time self-employment has lasted at least one year
- you are on study leave from your job and
- you do not receive any other form of financial assistance for education
For a short period of study or part-time education, you can get an adjusted adult education allowance.
Apply to the Employment Fund for the adult education allowance.
Eligibility for the loan guarantee
You can get a loan guarantee from Kela if you receive adult education allowance for an uninterrupted period of at least 8 weeks. You can get the guarantee for months in which there are at least 18 calendar days for which you are paid adult education allowance.
Your income or property do not affect your eligibility for the adult education allowance.
The loan guarantee for adult students is subject to the same conditions as the loan guarantee available under the financial aid system. Take a close look at the interest and repayment terms. You cannot get a loan guarantee if you receive other assistance that disqualifies you for student financial aid.
The full loan guarantee under the financial aid scheme for adult students will be EUR 650 per month. If you complete part of your studies abroad for example as an exchange student, the loan guarantee is EUR 800 per month.
How to apply
- Apply to the Employment Fund for an adult education allowance.
- Apply online for a loan guarantee for adult students. Log in to Kela's online customer service (in Finnish and Swedish only) using your bank ID or a mobile ID.
- The Employment Fund informs Kela directly of your adult education allowance.
- When you want to see if your claim has been decided, visit the online customer service.
- The decision will be mailed to you. Decisions on loan guarantees for adult students and information related to these decisions are not available through the online service.
Alternatively you can complete and print out an application for a student loan guarantee for adult students (OT 12). The paper application and necessary supporting documents can be mailed to Kela or delivered to the nearest Kela's customer service point or citizen service centre.
Please do not apply for both an adult education allowance and regular student financial aid (i.e. study grant) at the same time. If you receive a decision from the Employment Fund denying you adult education allowance, you can apply to Kela for student financial aid. Tell in your application for student financial aid when you applied to the Employment Fund for an adult education allowance. Kela can grant you financial aid retroactively from the beginning of the month in which you submitted an application for adult education allowance to the Employment Fund.
When to apply
The earliest that you can get a loan guarantee is the beginning of the month preceding your application. For example, if your application arrives at Kela in October, you can be get a loan guarantee from the beginning of August.
Other assistance for adult students
Besides the adult education allowance, you can finance your studies with
- financial aid for students
- a job alternation compensation
- an unemployment benefit
- apprenticeship training: te-services.fi
- assistance related to rehabilitation.
If you complete a university degree within the target time and you have taken out more than €2,500 in student loans, you can get
- a student loan compensation, if you started your first course of university study on or after 1 August 2014 or
- a student loan tax deduction, if you started your first course of university study before 1 August 2014.