If self-employment ends | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

If self-employment ends

If your self-employment ends for instance because you stop working in your business or you retire, you may be eligible for benefits from Kela. Possible benefits include for instance unemployment benefits, general housing allowance or a pension provided by Kela. Learn more about closing down a business (suomi.fi).

If you become unemployed

  1. If your self-employment ends and you become unemployed, register immediately as an unemployed jobseeker with the TE Services (te-services.fi). The TE Services investigate the ending of the self-employment activity and issue a statement on your entitlement to an unemployment benefit to the unemployment fund or to Kela.
  2. Apply for an unemployment benefit from your unemployment fund (tyj.fi) or from Kela. The unemployment fund or Kela investigates if the work requirement for self-employed persons is met and the financial situation of the business.
  3. Report continued unemployment to Kela on an unemployment status report.
  4. In addition to an unemployment benefit, you may also be entitled to general housing allowance and social assistance. However, first apply for an unemployment benefit.

When you retire

Read more about earnings-related pensions for self-employed persons and pensions provided by Kela that can supplement your earnings-related pension.

What do you think of this page?