Interpreter service and travel abroad | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

Interpretation during travel abroad

You can also be granted interpreter assistance for travel abroad if you have been granted the right to interpreting service for the disabled.

The trip must be related to your studies, your work or your everyday life. You can get interpreter service for example for a holiday abroad or for a trip to visit a friend or relative.

Getting interpreter service during foreign travel also requires you to know beforehand what kind of services you will need. Apply for the right to interpreter service and book an interpreter well in advance of your trip. You can apply for and book an interpreter for foreign travel at the same time and on the same application form.

If you make a day trip to a neighbouring country

You do not need to apply for the right to interpreter service for foreign travel if you make a day trip to a neighbouring country or take a day-long cruise. They are considered domestic travel.

Remote interpretation during foreign travel

You can use remote interpretation also when you are abroad. You need not apply for the right to interpreter service during travel abroad if you are only going to use remote interpretation on your trip.

Trips lasting two weeks or less

You can be granted interpreter service for trips lasting up to two weeks. If your trip lasts longer, you can only get interpreter service if you need it for work, study or some other valid reason.

Local interpreter

Interpreters for trips abroad are arranged from your own area. If you have a personal interpreter list, we strive to assign a local interpreter from the list. If all of the interpreters on your list are busy, the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled will contact you.

You can also suggest a local interpreter for a trip abroad.

European Health Insurance Card

If you fall suddenly ill or have an accident while abroad, you receive medical treatment in the EU and EEA countries and in Switzerland to the same cost as local residents, if you have a European Health Insurance Card.

Read more