Report changes in your circumstances | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

Report changes in your circumstances

Remember to report any changes in your circumstances to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly.

Contact Kela immediately if

  • the amount of income available to you or your family changes
  • the amount of assets available to you or your family changes
  • there are changes in the benefits which you or your family receive or are about to receive
  • there is a change in your or your family's expenses
  • you move house or leave a dwelling for which you were granted basic social assistance
  • you or a family member of yours who is between 17 and 64 years of age stops looking for work
  • you get married or your marriage ends
  • you begin or end a cohabiting relationship.
  • there are other changes in your family (e.g. the number of family members or persons liable for child support payments changes)
  • you start conscript or alternative civilian service
  • you are sent to prison
  • you are admitted into institutional care for more than 30 days (e.g. a hospital)
  • you take a trip abroad that will last longer than a week.

How to report changes in income and circumstances

You can report changes either

If you do not report changes, you may be paid housing allowance without due grounds or at the wrong rate. Any overpaid assistance may reduce future payments of basic social assistance.

Also remember to check how any changes in your circumstances affect other benefits paid by Kela.

Frequently asked questions

Last modified 28/3/2023

What do you think of this page?