Interruption in online services 30 October 07:00–20:00 More information
An incident has occurred in Kela’s remote customer services More information
How to pay the student healthcare fee in higher education
The amount of the healthcare fee for students in higher education is adjusted annually. In 2021, the fee is EUR 35.80 per term. The fee is paid to Kela once per term, i.e. twice a year. Students are not billed for the fee, but are expected to pay it unprompted.
If you have come as an exchange student to Finland from another country and you are not completing a degree or qualification at a Finnish higher education institution, you do not have to pay the healthcare fee. If you are not sure whether you have to pay the fee, see Who must pay the healthcare fee for students in higher education.
- You must pay the healthcare fee to Kela once per term, i.e. twice a year. No bill will be sent on the healthcare fee, and thus you have to pay the fee on your own initiative.
You can pay the fee even if you have not yet registered as attending.
You can pay the healthcare fee forthe autumn term 2021 now.
You can pay the healthcare fee for the spring term 2022 as soon as it has been confirmed, which will be by 30 November at the latest.
If you are applying for basic social assistance towards the healthcare fee, make sure that you only pay the fee for one academic term at a time.
- The due dates are determined based on the date on which you have registered as attending. There are four possible due dates in each calendar year.
For the autumn term, the due date is 30 September provided that you have registered as attending by then. If you register as attending for the autumn term on or after 1 October, the due date is 31 December.
For the spring term, the due date is 31 January provided that you have registered as attending by then. If you register as attending for the spring term on or after 1 February, the due date is 31 July.
- You can pay the healthcare fee via the OmaKela e-service: Omat etuudet > Muut etuusasiat > Korkeakouluopiskelijan terveydenhoitomaksu.
In the OmaKela e-service, you will be directed to your online bank to effect the payment, or you can print the payment details for later use.
If you do not pay the healthcare fee by the due date, Kela will send you a reminder. If you pay the fee after the due date, Kela will charge a fixed late-payment fee of EUR 5. If you still do not pay the healthcare fee after having received a reminder, Kela can withhold the fee and the late-payment fee from your study grant payments without first consulting you. If the fee cannot be withheld from the study grant payments, the healthcare fee will be referred to the enforcement authority for collection
If you cannot use the e-service for instance because you do not have Finnish online banking credentials, please pay the fee to Kela as a bank transfer.
- Use the following payment details:
- Account number: FI06 5000 0120 4657 77
- BIC code: OKOYFIHH
- recipient: Kela
- If you make the payment from abroad, use the following payment details:
- OP Corporate Bank plc, Gebhardinaukio 1, 00510 Helsinki, Finland
- State the account number in IBAN format and the BIC code.
- Write the following in the message field:
- name of the student
- personal identity code or date of birth of the student
- text OTH
- the term(s) for which the fee is paid, i.e. autumn 2021
- name of the educational institution.
Request for payment outstanding notice
You can request a payment outstanding notice for instance if you do not agree that you are liable to pay the fee; i.e., that you are a degree student and registered as attending for the term in question. In that case, you can request a rectification of the payment outstanding notice.
Through the payment outstanding notice Kela determines whether you are liable to pay the student healthcare fee for the term. Kela makes the decision on the basis of the degree you are completing and the data on your attendance during the term.
Do as follows
- Submit a free-form request for a payment outstanding notice either verbally or in writing.
- The written request can be sent as a message via Kela’s e-service, submitted at one of Kela’s customer service points or sent by mail to the address Kelan perintäkeskus, PO Box 31, 00056 KELA.
- You can submit a verbal request by calling the customer service number of Kela's Overpayment Recovery Centre at 020 634 4940.
Please state your name and contact information in your request. Also state the term that the request concerns, the name of the educational institution, which degree you are studying for and when you registered as attending or non-attending with your school. Example: "Autumn term 2021, Turun ammattikorkeakoulu, bachelor’s level degree at a university of applied sciences. Registered as attending 1 September 2021.”
- Even if you request a payment outstanding notice, you must pay the healthcare fee by the due date. Kela will refund the fee to you if you pay it despite not having to do so for the term in question.
If you disagree with the payment outstanding notice, you can file a rectification request regarding the notice with Kela. Kela makes a decision on your request, and you can appeal against the decision with the Administrative Court.