An incident has occured in Kela’s translation service for people with disabilities More information
Interruption in online service for claiming sickness allowance More information
How to book an interpreter
You can book an interpreter
- by text message
- by phone
- by e-mail
- via video-based customer service
- by post
State the following in your booking:
- your name, customer number or date of birth
- when you need interpreter service (date as well as start time and end time)
- where interpreter service is needed, street address and municipality
- place and time for meeting the interpreter
- type of situation and need for interpreter service (e.g. a meeting or a visit to the doctor)
Also state the following, when necessary:
- if there are others present who use interpreter service
- what is your role (e.g. will you give a speech or presentation)
- will some foreign language(s) be used at the event (e.g. English)
- where can the interpreter find background material for the assignment
Book an interpreter via the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled.
Changing or cancelling a booking
Please inform the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled without delay if there are any changes to your booking. For instance changes in time, date, subject or meeting place should be reported.
Cancel the booking if you no longer need interpreter service. Then the interpreter can be allocated to another customer.
Hours of interpreter service that have not been cancelled are deducted from the hours awarded to you.
If someone else books an interpreter on your behalf
If you cannot yourself book an interpreter, someone else can do it on your behalf. For instance an assistant, the home help service personnel or your employer can book an interpreter on your behalf.
Before someone else can book an interpreter on your behalf, the person needs an authorisation from you. Authorisation can be given through a written power of attorney or verbally. However, verbal authorisation can only be given for one booking at a time.
You can also make a booking through an interpreter.
Interpretation at a public event
If interpreter service is needed for a public event, a contact person of the arranging organisation can book interpreters. The contact person must send the authorisations received from the customers who are entitled to interpreter service to the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled.
The contact person reports the following to the Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled:
- type of interpretation (sign language, sign-supported speech or written interpretation)
- time for the assignment (dates and times)
- number of interpreters
- contents of the event (programme, course schedule etc.)
- suggestion for how to arrange interpreter service during the event.
Messages related to the booking
You will receive messages related to your bookings at different stages. State on the customer registration form where the messages should be sent (e.g. text message, e-mail). If you indicate someone else as the recipient of the messages, the messages will be sent to this person.
You will receive a message when your booking has been received. The aim is that this message is sent to you as soon as possible.
You will receive a confirmation message as soon as an interpreter has been allocated to your booking.
Informing about the name of the interpreter
You will receive information about the name of the interpreter on the day before the assignment at 4pm.
If no interpreter is available
The Centre for Interpreting Services for the Disabled will try to find an interpreter as long as possible. The time and contents of the booking determine for how long it is possible to keep looking for an interpreter.
When necessary, we will ask you separately about when you at the latest need to be informed about whether an interpreter has been allocated. If no interpreter is available for the booking, you will receive a message concerning this.
Message about receipt of cancellation
If you have to cancel your booking, you will receive a message when the cancellation has been received.