Reimbursements for medical expenses
Kela pays reimbursement for part of the cost of visiting a private healthcare provider. Costs of treatment provided via video conferencing can be reimbursed as well.
Reimbursement is paid for necessary treatment provided in connection with illness, pregnancy or childbirth and in compliance with generally accepted good practices.
Kela does not provide reimbursement for
- public health care services
- administrative fees charged by private health care providers
- operation room facility charges
- hospital bed charges
- outpatient clinic charges
- charges for preventive care (except for dental care)
- private health care if you are being treated in a public hospital or institution.
The direct reimbursement method is used by health care providers that have an agreement with Kela. When you present your personal Kela card, the reimbursement is deducted from the price at the place of treatment.
Compensations from insurance providers
If you have a private medical or accident insurance policy, you can claim compensation from your insurance provider along with the reimbursement available from Kela.
If you are claiming because of a traffic accident or accident at work, make your claim directly to the insurance provider.