How to claim reimbursement for treatment abroad and apply for prior authorisation to seek treatment abroad
- How to ask a prior notification on reimbursements when seeking healthcare abroad without prior authorisation
Send the application using the OmaKela e-service:
- Save the completed application and attachments on your device. Note that the application must be in pdf format. If the application or attachments are on paper you can photograph or scan them.
- (available in Finnish and Swedish) and select Tee hakemus (File an application).
- Select Sairaanhoito ja lääkkeet (Medical care and medicines) and then Hae sairaanhoito- tai lääkekorvausta (Claim reimbursement for medical care or medicines).
- Choose the files on your device and press Lähetä (Send).
- When you send your application online you do not need to sign it.
- Another option is to send the application by mail. Sign the application and mail it along with the supporting documents to the address Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
When to apply
You must claim reimbursement for medical care expenses incurred abroad within 6 months from the date of paying the costs.
Ask for advance information and apply for prior authorisation well in advance of seeking treatment. Kela needs time to decide on your application because Kela asks the public healthcare provider for the necessary information.