Child home care allowance

Child home care allowance can be granted when a child under 3 years of age is looked after at home. The caregiver can be

  • the child's parent
  • married or cohabiting spouse of the parent or guardian
  • a hired caregiver or other person who looks after the child

Child home care allowance can also be paid for other siblings under school age of the under 3-year-old child who is looked after at home. Payment of the allowance ends at the latest when the family's youngest child reaches the age of 3 years.

Child home care allowance is not available if the child is in municipal (local) day care. In order to get child home care allowance, the parent(s) must take their child out of municipal day care for example during the summer holiday.

Child home care allowance includes

  • care allowance, which is not affected by the family's income
  • care supplement, which is affected by the family's total income
  • possible municipal supplement, depending on the home municipality.


As a rule, child home care allowance is claimed by the child's parent or other guardian. In some cases the claimant may also be some other person who mostly looks after the child and lives in the same household. An adoptive parent can also claim child home care allowance.

Other benefits may affect the amount of the child home care allowance. If, for instance, another child is born to the family the mother will again receive maternity allowance. In such cases, child home care allowance is usually not paid. See how other benefits affect the child home care allowance.

Read more