An incident has occurred in Kela’s remote customer services More information
How to claim child home care allowance
Claim the child home care allowance online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.Claim now
- Claim child home care allowance online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- Child home care allowance can be claimed by the parent or other legal guardian who primarily looks after the child at home. If both parents are primary caregivers, they must agree between themselves who is to file the claim. The primary caregiver can also be someone else, such as a grandparent. The name of the caregiver must be stated separately in the claim. The allowance must, however, always be claimed by a parent or by another legal guardian, even if the caregiver is another person.
- When you have completed the claim, the summary page lists the necessary supporting documentation. Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online.
- If you claim care supplement, you must also fill in details on the family's gross income.
- As of 1 January 2019, Kela obtains salary information from The National Incomes Register. Kela uses this data when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.
- In the application, you are asked to enclose the necessary documentation, such as the form for reporting a self-employed person’s income details (Yrittäjän tuloselvitys Y 8 (Finnish) or Företagares inkomstutredning Y 8r (Swedish) and the documentation stated on the form.
- Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when you will be paid. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application. A written decision on your application will be sent to you by post.
Alternatively, you can also fill in and print out the application form for child home care allowance/private day care allowance (WH 1e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
If you live in the Åland Islands you should claim child home care allowance from your municipality of residence.
When to claim
Child home care allowance should be claimed well before payment of the parental allowance ends. The right to child home care allowance starts right after the period of parental allowance even if you take your annual holiday. The allowance is available retrospectively for a maximum of 6 months from the date of the claim.
You can claim the allowance also for a fixed period of time. If you do not indicate any end date for payment of the child home care allowance in the claim, the allowance is granted until the youngest child reaches the age of 3 years.
If you wish to end payment of the allowance, you can arrange that online. You can also contact Kela by phone. Alternatively, you can write a free-form letter and send it to the nearest Kela´s customer service point.
Remember to report all changes in your circumstances in regard to the child home care allowance to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly.