How to claim child home care allowance

Claiming online is quick and easy

You can easily file the claim and supporting documentation via the online customer service system. Documents photographed with a phone are accepted if the photographs are clear.

Send a claim
  1. Claim child home care allowance online. To log in to the online service, use your bank ID and password or a mobile certificate. The claim for child home care allowance can be made under Hakemukset ja ilmoitukset > Lastenhoidon tuet. When needed, you can exit the claim at any time and return to it later. The data you have completed are saved.
    • Child home care allowance can be claimed by the parent or other legal guardian who primarily looks after the child at home. If both parents are primary caregivers, they must agree between themselves who is to file the claim. The primary caregiver can also be someone else, such as a grandparent. The name of the caregiver must be stated separately in the claim. The allowance must, however, always be claimed by a parent or by another legal guardian, even if the caregiver is another person.
  2. When you have completed the claim, the summary page lists the necessary supporting documentation. Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet.
  3. If you claim care supplement, you must also fill in details on the family's gross income.
    • As of 1 January 2019, Kela obtains salary information from The National Incomes Register. Kela uses this data when processing claims and applications. You will be contacted if additional information is required.
    • In the application, you are asked to enclose the necessary documentation, such as the form for reporting a self-employed person’s income details (Yrittäjän tuloselvitys Y 8 (Finnish) or Företagares inkomstutredning Y 8r (Swedish) and the documentation stated on the form.
  4. The online customer service shows whether your claim has been decided on, the benefit amount and the payment dates. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your claim.
  • Alternatively you can also fill in and print out the application form for child home care allowance/private day care allowance (WH 1e) and send it with necessary attachments to Kela.
  • If you live in the Åland Islands you should claim child home care allowance from your municipality of residence.

When to claim

Child home care allowance should be claimed well before payment of the parental allowance ends. The right to child home care allowance starts right after the period of parental allowance even if you take your annual holiday. The allowance is available retrospectively for a maximum of 6 months from the date of the claim.

Don’t forget

You can claim the allowance also for a fixed period of time. If you do not indicate any end date for payment of the child home care allowance in the claim, the allowance is granted until the youngest child reaches the age of 3 years.

If you wish to end payment of the allowance, you can arrange that online. You can also contact Kela by phone. Alternatively, you can write a free-form letter and send it to the nearest Kela´s customer service point.

Remember to report all changes in your circumstances in regard to the child home care allowance to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly.

Read more