Partial care allowance

You can receive partial care allowance if you work no more than 30 hours a week while looking after a child. Partial care allowance is paid for children who are in the first or second year of school.

The right to partial care allowance is based on the Employment Contracts Act. Partial parental leave is granted by the employer. You must therefore enter into an agreement on this with your employer before you can take the leave. Kela does not determine the conditions regarding your working hours. You must notify your employer at least 2 months before you plan to take the leave.


Partial care allowance is paid to parents of children who are in the first or second year of school. To qualify, your maximum average working hours must number a total of 30 hours per week or less due to child care responsibilities. In practice, this means, for example, a 6-hour working day or a 4-day working week.

In order for the parent to be granted partial care allowance, he or she must work for a private-sector or public-sector employer or work as a self-employed person with valid pension insurance under the Self-Employed Persons’ Pensions Act (YEL) or the Farmers’ Pensions Act (MYEL).

Both parents can receive partial care allowance as long as they share the responsibility for looking after the child and are not off work at the same time. Partial care allowance can also be paid to a non-custodial parent (i.e., a parent who does not live in the same household as the children).

Impact of other benefits

Partial care allowance can be paid at the same time, for instance, with private day care allowance, or if the child is in municipal day care.

Partial care allowance is not granted if the parent is not working because he or she

  • falls ill and is on sick leave for over 4 weeks without interruption (short sick leaves do not affect the benefit). The entitlement to partial care allowance ends when the incapacity for work starts.
  • receives child home care allowance and looks after the child himself/herself
  • receives parental allowance at the same time
  • receives flexible care allowance (the other parent may receive flexible care allowance for another child)
  • has registered as unemployed and looking for work
  • is a full-time student
  • is on job alternation leave.

Read more