School transport subsidy
The purpose of the school transport subsidy is to provide compensation for the daily cost of travelling to and from school.
Travel distance and costs
You are eligible for school transport subsidy if you meet all of the following requirements:
- your travel distance to school is at least 10 kilometres one way
- your travel costs exceed EUR 54 per month (does not apply to the Waltti public transport system, dedicated school transport services or own method of transport)
- you make at least 7 one-way trips to or from school per week.
The travel distance is the shortest trip by car between home and school. If the travel distance is less than 10 kilometres, you cannot get school transport subsidy even if by bus it would be longer than that.
You can get school transport subsidy in the following situations:
- You attend upper secondary school.
- You study for a basic vocational qualification or a part of a qualification.
- You attend a folk high school and you are completing upper secondary school studies or a basic vocational qualification or a part of a qualification.
- You attend upper secondary school in an adult student or night programme and you are completing the upper secondary school curriculum in conjunction with a basic vocational qualification.
- You attend a course of education preparing you for general upper secondary education and intended for students with immigrant and foreign language backgrounds.
- You attend a course of education preparing you for basic vocational education (VALMA).
- You attend a course of education preparing you for employment or for independent living (TELMA).
- You attend the Emergency Services College (Pelastusopisto/Räddningsinstitutet) or the Training Institute for Prison and Probation Services (Rikosseuraamusalan koulutuskeskus/Brottspåföljdsområdets utbildningscentral), completing a course of basic vocational qualifications.
Starting 1 August 2018, school transport subsidy can also be granted for adult basic education, i.e. basic education for persons who have passed the compulsory education age under the Basic Education Act. Adult basic education is usually arranged at folk high schools and upper secondary schools for adult students.
Eligibility for the school transport subsidy requires that you live and study in Finland. Your age, income or property do not affect eligibility.
You can get school transport subsidy for a full calendar month only. The shortest consecutive period of eligibility is therefore 18 days, and you must have at least 18 qualifying days in each month to get the subsidy. Intervening weekends are included in the calculation.
No eligibility in certain situations
You cannot get school transport subsidy in the following situations:
- You attend comprehensive school, except if you are in adult basic education.
- You attend a university or a university of applied sciences.
- You attend a folk high school, completing other than upper secondary school studies or a basic vocational qualification or a part of a qualification.
- You attend labour market training or an apprenticeship programme.
- You attend upper secondary school in an adult student or night programme, except if you are completing the upper secondary school curriculum in conjunction with a basic vocational qualification.
- You attend training preparing you for a basic or specialist vocational qualification (you are not completing a basic vocational qualification).
School transport subsidy is also not available in the following situations:
- For paid on-the-job training (= apprenticeship training)
- Distance learning or private tuition.
- You study or live outside Finland.
- You have the possibility to live free of charge in a school dormitory, except if you travel daily at least 10 kilometres in one direction from the dormitory to school or to the place for the on-the-job training.
- There are other forms of financial assistance available for you to support your daily trips to and from school (e.g., compensation for expenses as an unemployment benefit for immigrants or a compensation for travel expenses under the Act on Services for Persons with Disabilities).