How to apply for school transport subsidy
- Apply for school transport subsidy once per school year.
- Fill in the Application for school transport subsidy (KM 1) and submit it to your school. You cannot apply online on Kela's customer service website.
- Your school will check the information in your application. If you take Waltti regional transport or a Matkahuolto bus, you will get a voucher from your school that you can use to purchase a ticket.
- Kela will give you a written decision about the school transport subsidy. You can view the decision online on Kela's customer service website. If you are under 18, Kela will also communicate the decision to your guardian.
Apply for the school transport subsidy at the beginning of each school year. If you are in your final year of upper secondary school, time your application to the end of the obligatory attendance period.
The number of ticket purchases that can be made with a voucher
This calculator can be used to find out when and how many tickets you can buy with a voucher. The calculator is only available in Finnish and Swedish.Calculator (in Finnish)
The earliest that you can get school transport subsidy is the beginning of the month preceding application. For example, if you wish to receive it from the beginning of August, you must submit an application to your school by the end of September.
Apply for school transport subsidy once per school year.
Report changes in your circumstances
Remember to report any changes in your circumstances to Kela so that the benefit can be paid correctly. You can report changes through our online customer service, by phone or in person at any of Kela's customer service points.
If you report changes late, if the information you provide turns out to be incorrect, or if you do not report relevant information, you may receive school transport subsidy even though you are not entitled to it. In such cases Kela will require you to pay back the school transport subsidy even if it was paid to the ticket office or to the transport operator.
Interruption or ending of studies
You must inform Kela if
- you end your studies or interrupt them for more than a week and you do not travel to school daily during this period (except during holidays from school)
- you graduate in the middle of the school year.
You can notify Kela or, alternatively, submit a new application for school transport subsidy to your school if
- you change schools.
- you move to a new apartment and your travel distance changes
- your trip to school changes for example because of a period of on-the-job training.
Submit a new application for school transport subsidy to your school if
- you change your method of transport
- the price you pay for your public transport ticket changes (does not apply to Waltti regional transport or Matkahuolto).
If you submit a new application for school transport subsidy to your school, information about this will be given to Kela from the school directly.