Services for students who study abroad

If you complete part of your studies abroad, you can use the e-service (in Finnish or Swedish) to handle your benefit processes, or contact us through Kela’s phone services.

If  all of your studies are at a foreign education institution, you can contact Kela about student financial aid by the following means:


Use Kela's e-service system if you wish to send a message or documents concerning student financial aid. You will receive a reply through the online system.


If you live abroad and you do not have a Finnish banking ID or mobile ID, you can contact Kela about student financial aid through our service for encrypted email.

For security reasons, email can be sent only over a secure connection. To send email to the Centre for Student Financial Aid, use this link.

Enter your email address in the Sender (Lähettäjä) field. You will receive a message which contains a link you can use to send email to Kela over a secure connection. The link is active for 30 days. Send your message to:

Instructions for sending email over a secure connection (PDF).

Phone service

Phone number +358 20 634 2550
Monday–Friday 9-15

Mail and fax

Address for customers:
Kela, PO Box 10, FI- 00056 KELA

Fax +358 20 634 1599