Gait rehabilitation for persons who have had stroke
The gait training course is suitable for you if you have had a cerebrovascular accident and need support especially with walk training, and
- It has been between 3 months and less than 3 years since falling ill when the rehabilitation begins
- at least 1 month has elapsed since you were discharged to home care or to an assisted living facility when the rehabilitation begins
- you belong to FAC category 2–4: you are able to move independently and adequately maintain your balance while walking and standing up
- you are able to move around on the service providers premises with the help of a walking aid or without it
- you are able to participate, for about 5 hours per day, in the rehabilitation programme that is part of the course.
The course is not suitable for you, if your functional capacity is clearly weakened, or if you have perceptual problems, feel tired or have a severe illness that prevents you from participating in the course.
Use the course search to look up when courses are arranged
Use the search term “kävelykuntoutuskurssi”.
Purpose of the course
The aim of the course is to provide support and guidance and to help you cope in everyday life. The course aims to increase your resources and skills so that you are able to participate in activities in your own living environment.
Content of the course and implementation
The rehabilitation is implemented as group rehabilitation taking each client’s individual goal and need for rehabilitation into consideration.
The course includes group discussions and working in small groups, a variety of activities as well as individual interviews, meetings and discussions with rehabilitation experts. Rehabilitation includes daily gait training.
The rehabilitation is arranged on the service provider’s premises. Each course lasts 25 days and it is divided into 3 periods (10 days + 10 days + 5 days). You can stay overnight at the place of the rehabilitation or travel there from home each day. An adult person who is close to you can participate in the rehabilitation together with you during 3 days at the end of the first period.
The rehabilitation includes, if necessary, a home visit or alternatively a video call before the first rehabilitation period or between the periods. The service provider will also contact you before and after the rehabilitation and between the rehabilitation periods.
The course is implemented by the following experts:
- specialist in neurology
- registered nurse or public health nurse
- four physiotherapists.
Depending on your individual needs, other rehabilitation professionals and assisting personnel may also take part.