Interruption in online service for recruitment 6 June 01:00–08:00 More information
How to apply for care allowance for pensioners
Apply for care allowance for pensioners online
You can easily send the application and supporting documentation through Kela's online customer service system. Documents photographed with a mobile phone are accepted if the pictures are clear and legible.Apply for benefits
- Apply for care allowance for pensioners online. Log in to Kela's online customer service (in Finnish and Swedish only) using your online bank ID or a mobile ID. Continued payment of the allowance and increased allowance are applied for on the same form. Remember to file an application for continued payment in time.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet. Enclose
- up-to-date medical statement C (no older than six months) or medical statement B, if it includes the details needed when processing the application
- possible receipts or other documents concerning the expenses caused by the disability or illness
- You can also enclose a statement from your home municipality’s social worker or health care employee or someone else who knows your situation well, about your need of assistance, the services you use and the special expenses you incur.
- You can go to Kela's online customer service to see if your application has been decided and the amount of the benefit. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application.
Alternatively you can complete and print out the form Eläkettä saavan hoitotuki / 16 vuotta täyttäneen vammaistuki (Care allowance for pensioners / Disability allowance for persons aged 16 years or over) (EV 256) and send it by post to Kela along with any supporting documents.
Using a power of attorney to act on behalf of another person
If interacting with Kela is challenging for you personally, you can authorise another person to do so on your behalf. For this purpose you must submit a power of attorney to Kela, indicating who can act on your behalf. It is not possible to act on another person's behalf in the online customer service. The person whom you have authorised to act on your behalf can act on your behalf by phone, by post or at Kela’s customer service point.
Apply for continued payment in good time
It is worthwhile to file an application for continued payment and related supporting documents with Kela well in advance of the end of the payment period so that payment of the benefit is not interrupted. Applications for continued payment of the care allowance for pensioners should be filed within six months of the end of the previous payment period, however.
Medical statement for an application for increased benefit
A new medical statement is usually needed for an application for increased benefit. However, a new statement is not needed if increased benefit is applied for only on account of special expenses.
When to apply
Kela grants the benefit for a maximum of 6 months retrospectively. Retroactive payment is always considered from case to case.