How to apply for care allowance for pensioners

Apply for care allowance for pensioners online

Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.

Apply for benefits
  1. Apply for care allowance for pensioners online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
    • Continued payment of the allowance and increased allowance are applied for on the same form. Remember to file an application for continued payment in time.
  2. Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them online. Enclose
    • up-to-date medical statement C (no older than six months) or medical statement B, if it includes the details needed when processing the application
    • possible receipts or other documents concerning the expenses caused by the disability or illness
    • You can also enclose a statement from your home municipality’s social worker or health care employee or someone else who knows your situation well, about your need of assistance, the services you use and the special expenses you incur.
  3. Visit our e-service to see if your application has been decided and the amount of the benefit. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application.

Alternatively you can complete and print out the form Eläkettä saavan hoitotuki / 16 vuotta täyttäneen vammaistuki (Care allowance for pensioners / Disability allowance for persons aged 16 years or over) (EV 256, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

Using a power of attorney to act on behalf of another person

If interacting with Kela is challenging for you personally, you can authorise another person to do so on your behalf. For this purpose you must submit a power of attorney to Kela, indicating who can act on your behalf. It is not possible to act on another person's behalf in the e-service. The person whom you have authorised to act on your behalf can act on your behalf by phone, by post or at Kela’s customer service point.

Apply for continued payment in good time

It is worthwhile to file an application for continued payment and related supporting documents with Kela well in advance of the end of the payment period so that payment of the benefit is not interrupted. Applications for continued payment of the care allowance for pensioners should be filed within six months of the end of the previous payment period, however.

Medical statement for an application for increased benefit

A new medical statement is usually needed for an application for increased benefit. However, a new statement is not needed if increased benefit is applied for only on account of special expenses.

When to apply

Kela grants the benefit for a maximum of 6 months retrospectively. Retroactive payment is always considered from case to case.

Read more