Social security coverage for jobseekers

Looking for work abroad

Unemployed jobseekers can go to look for work in another EU or EEA country or Switzerland for a maximum of three months. During this time you can receive basic unemployment allowance and earnings-related unemployment allowance to the same amount as in Finland.

Register as an unemployed jobseeker in the country where you are looking for work within seven days. Take with you a certificate from Kela or an unemployment fund showing that you are entitled to unemployment benefits (certificate U2). If you find work within three months, you will usually become covered under the social security system of your country of employment. Please notify Kela that you have found work.

If you do not find a job, you must return to Finland within 3 months in order to retain your right to unemployment benefits in Finland. If you stay abroad longer than 3 months, your right to other social security benefits in Finland than unemployment allowance will be determined by reference to whether your residence abroad is temporary or permanent. If you are judged to have moved outside Finland permanently, your right to social security in Finland ends simultaneously with the end of your right to unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits are paid to persons who go to look for work in a country outside the EU/EEA area only for temporary stays abroad. Your registration as a jobseeker in Finland must be valid.

Looking for work from Finland during temporary stay abroad

Persons who look for work in Finland but who stay abroad temporarily can receive unemployment benefits from Finland. A prerequisite for this is that you are registered as a jobseeker with an Employment and Economic Development Office in Finland. Temporary stay abroad means a stay of less than one year.