Social security coverage for workers posted to Finland

If you move to Finland from another EU or EEA country or Switzerland as a posted worker, you are always covered under the social security system in the sending country. However, you have access to medical treatment in Finland if you have a European Health Insurance Card issued by your country of origin. Further, you may be eligible for an infectious disease allowance if a doctor responsible for infectious disease control has ordered you to stay off work in order to prevent the spread of an infectious disease.

If you come to Finland on a posting, you must have a certificate A1 granted by the authorities in your country of origin.

If you move to Finland as a posted worker from some other country than an EU or EEA country, Switzerland or a country that has a social security agreement with Finland, you may be entitled to Kela benefits if the wage amounts to at least EUR 726.27 per month (in 2021).


An Argentine company sends José to work in Finland for 2 years at the company’s Finnish subsidiary. José is a citizen of Argentina and his family also moves with him to Finland. José is considered to have moved to Finland on a permanent basis. José and his family are entitled to Kela benefits starting from their arrival in Finland.

Social security coverage for workers posted from a country that has a social security agreement with Finland

All social security agreements that Finland has concluded (United States, Canada, Quebec, Australia, Chile, China, South Korea and Israel) concern posted workers. The benefits covered by the agreements vary. Workers posted to Finland are not entitled to the Kela benefits covered by the agreement. They may be entitled to benefits not covered by the agreement.

Send the certificate of posting (A1) that the sending country has awarded to Kela. On the basis of the certificate, Kela will determine your right to social security benefits in Finland.