Interruption in online service for recruitment 21 September 01:00–08:00 More information
How to apply for housing allowance for pensioners
- You can apply online for the housing allowance for pensioners. Log in to Kela's online customer service (in Finnish and Swedish) using your online banking codes or a mobile ID.
- What to enclose with your application
- details of your housing costs: rental agreement, proof of payment for rent or maintenance charge. You do not have to report these details if your landlord reports the details on the rental agreement electronically to Kela. From the aforementioned landlords (list in Finnish) Kela receives the necessary data electronically.
- details of your own and your spouse's/partner’s income and assets
- When you apply for housing allowance for pensioners for the first time you must always submit an account statement or other certificate on all your accounts and deposits, indicating the balance and interest rate of the account.
- If you receive a pension from abroad, send the decision on the pension to Kela.
- details of any debt and interest on debt.
- Scan or take a photo of supporting documents and send them over the Internet (in Finnish and Swedish). You can send supporting documents over the Internet also after you have submitted the application.
- The housing allowance for pensioners should be reviewed if your circumstances change.
- You can use Kela's online service to see whether your application has been decided and the amount you will receive. You can also see a list of and any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application.
Alternatively you can complete and print out an application form for housing allowance for pensioners (AE 1, in Finnish) and mail it to Kela along with the supporting documents.
Employers will start reporting pay details to the Incomes Register as of 1 January 2019. Kela can use this data when processing claims.
When to apply
Applications for housing allowance for pensioners can be backdated for up to six months.