How to apply for intensive medical rehabilitation
- See a doctor in the public healthcare system. Once you have a rehabilitation plan showing your need for rehabilitation, you can apply for rehabilitation from Kela.
- Fill in and print out the application titled Vaativa lääkinnällinen kuntoutus (KU 104).
- Enclose with the application a rehabilitation plan drawn up by your doctor, in which your doctor recommends that you should be given access to rehabilitation. Instead of a rehabilitation plan, you can enclose a doctor’s statement B that sets out a rehabilitation plan for you.
- Mail the application along with the supporting documents to Kela. You can also use the Message function on Kela's online customer service to send the supporting documents. Log in to Kela's online customer service (in Finnish and Swedish only) using your bank ID or a mobile ID.
- Kela may invite you to an interview.
- When you want to see if your application has been decided, visit the online customer service. You will receive a written decision on your application. The decision will also be sent to the rehabilitation provider, who will reserve a place for you in the rehabilitation and accept it as a voucher covering the cost of the rehabilitation.
When to apply
The earliest that Kela can grant access to rehabilitation and provide compensation for its costs is the beginning of the month of application. In exceptional cases, compensation for rehabilitation costs can be paid retroactively for six months.