Due to updates there may be interruptions in our online services 19 February 00:00–02:00 More information
An incident has occured in Kela’s translation service for people with disabilities. More information
Interruption in online service for claiming sickness allowance More information
How to apply for an old-age pension
- If your earnings-related pension is small or if you receive no earnings-related pension at all, you can apply for an old-age pension in the form of a national pension via Kela's online customer service. Log in to Kela's online customer service (in Finnish and Swedish only) using your online bank ID or a mobile ID.
- Earnings-related pension from the authorised pension provider or via the website tyoelake.fi/en.
- Scan or take a photo of any supporting documents and send them online (in Finnish and Swedish only).
- Use Kela's online service to see whether your application for a pension has been decided and the amount you will receive. You can also see any possible reminders concerning, for instance, documents missing from your application.
An old-age pension from Kela can also be applied for without any application form either by calling Kela's customer service number 020 634 2650 or by visiting Kela’s service point.
Alternatively you can complete and print out an application form (ETK/Kela 7001e) and send the form and supporting documents to Kela. Remember to sign the application.
You may be entitled to a pension from the countries where you have lived or worked.
If interacting with Kela is challenging for you personally, you can authorise another person to do so on your behalf.
In addition to an old-age pension, you can also apply to Kela for a guarantee pension.
Application and processing times
The application for a national pension from Kela in the form of an old-age pension can be backdated 6 months and the earnings-related pension from the authorised pension provider in the form of an old-age pension can be backdated 3 months.
Old-age pensions under the national pension scheme can be applied for separately or at the same time with an old-age pension under the earnings-related pension scheme. For example, if you apply for an earnings-related pension at age 63, you can also apply for an early old-age pension from the national pension scheme. However, the national pension will be permanently smaller than it would have been had you applied for it at age 65. You can also apply for an old-age pension from the national pension scheme when you reach the age of 65 years, if you receive an early old-age pension from the earnings-related pension scheme at age 63 and you have not applied for an early national pension.
If Kela is paying you a disability pension, it will be converted automatically into an old-age pension from the beginning of the month following your 65th birthday.
- You can access Kela's online service to see whether your application has been decided and when the benefit you have applied for will be paid.
- For information about how long the handling of an application usually takes, see Application process for benefits. The handling of the application takes longer if you also apply for a pension from abroad.