Changes to the criteria for infectious disease allowance
A decision by a doctor responsible for infectious disease control is no longer required for infectious disease allowance. You can now be granted the allowance on the basis of certain other certificates issued by health care providers. Further, the application period has been extended from two to six months.
How to claim sickness allowance on account of an infectious disease
- Apply for allowance in the OmaKela e-service.
Apply for infectious disease allowance from Kela even if you are a member of a workplace sickness fund.
Claiming online is quick and easy
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.Claim now
- Scan or take a photo of the supporting documents and send them over the internet. What to enclose with your application
- a copy of the doctor's decision on absence from work, quarantine or isolation, or a medical certificate A with corresponding content
- a certificate issued by a doctor, nurse or public health nurse for a laboratory-verified COVID-19 infection and a recommendation to stay away from work, day care or school
an estimate from your employer on the loss of income, or ask your employer to file this information.
When needed, ask for more time to file the decision from the physician responsible for infectious disease control.
- Send a message using the OmaKela e-service. Under ‘Aihe’ select sairastaminen (illness) and then under ‘Tarkenne’ tartuntatautipäiväraha (infectious disease allowance). Explain in your message that the filing of the decision from the physician responsible for infectious disease control will be delayed. Proceed like this also when your employer has applied for infectious disease allowance and has not indicated that the filing of the decision from the physician responsible for infectious disease control will be delayed.
Alternatively you can complete and print out the application form for sickness allowance SV 8e (pdf). If you will receive the decision from the physician responsible for infectious disease control late, please state this under Additional information in the application. Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA. Remember to state in the application that you wish to apply for infectious disease allowance.
When to claim
File your application for sickness allowance on account of an infectious disease within two months of the date from which you wish to receive it. If the absence from work began sometime between 1 January 2022 and 31 December 2022, the application period is six months.
If the application is submitted late, please explain the reason for the delay. Kela investigates whether infectious disease allowance can be granted despite the delay in submitting the application.
On the front page of the e-service, you can check if your application has arrived or been decided, when the benefit will be paid and what benefits you have most recently received. You can also see reminders to submit any missing documents.
For information about how long the handling of an application usually takes, see Application process for benefits.