How to claim reimbursement for medicine expenses
Your reimbursement is usually provided to you directly at the pharmacy.
However, you must apply for the reimbursement afterwards from Kela if
- you did not receive the reimbursement due to you directly at the pharmacy
- you had to buy the medicine before Kela could grant you the entitlement to reimbursement.
How to apply for reimbursement for medicine expenses from Kela:
- Send the application via the OmaKela e-service:
- . If you are applying reimbursement for your child, go to Asioi toisen henkilön puolesta (Act on behalf of another person).
- Select Sairaanhoito ja lääkkeet and then Hae sairaanhoito- tai lääkekorvausta.
- Select the application form on your device and press Lähetä.
- When you send your application online you do not need to sign it.
- If you have supporting documents, send them via OmaKela after you have submitted your application. If they are paper documents, you can photograph or scan them.
Another option is to send the application by mail:
- Sign the form and send it with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
When to apply
File your application within 6 months after purchasing the medication.
The time period for applying for additional reimbursement for medicine expenses is longer. It can be applied for from the date of purchase to the end of June the following year.