Interruption in online services 23 March 06:00–12:00 More information
The student housing supplement is only available to
- those who study abroad and who live in rental housing
- those who are in enrolled in a tuition-based programme in a Finnish folk high school, sports institute or the Sámi Education Institute, and who live in a school dormitory
- those who study in the Åland islands and who live in rental housing.
You may be granted housing supplement for students studying abroad, provided that you are studying
- in a foreign educational institution
- in a Finnish educational institution and you are completing a study unit abroad.
To qualify, you must both live and study abroad. If you do not live abroad for study reasons, you cannot be paid the housing supplement. More information on housing supplement for students studying abroad.
If you are enrolled in a tuition-based programme of a Finnish folk high school, sports institute or the Sámi Educational Institute and live in a school dormitory, you can get a housing supplement of EUR 88.87 per month. If you are under 18 years of age, your parents' income affects the amount of the housing supplement. You can be paid a housing supplement and a government guarantee for a student loan even if you do not qualify for a study grant. The housing supplement is also available, subject to the same qualifying conditions, to those studying in the folk high school programme of an institute of vocational education.
You may be granted housing supplement, if you are living in the Province of Åland and you are
- studying in an Åland Islands educational institution
- studying in another educational institution and completing a study unit in the Åland Islands.
If you study in the Åland Islands and live in rental accommodation or a right-of-occupancy home there, your housing supplement will usually be EUR 210 per month. Your housing costs do not affect the amount of the housing supplement.
The income of your parents affects the amount of housing supplement you can get if you study in an educational institution which is not a university, you have no family, and you are under 18 years of age.
If you do not live in the Åland Islands for study reasons, you are not entitled to housing supplement.
Housing allowance is not granted if you
- live with your parent
- live in a home that is owned by yourself, your spouse or partner, or your parents
- live with your own or your partner’s child
- live with a spouse or partner who is receiving housing allowance for pensioners, or if you yourself are receiving housing allowance for pensioners.
Students and the general housing allowance
Students renting an apartment in mainland Finland can claim general housing allowance starting 1 August 2017. The housing supplement is also available to those living in a right-of-occupancy, partial-ownership or owner-occupied home.
The housing supplement is deposited into your bank account on the 1st day of the month or on the immediately following business day. For example, if the 1st day of the month is a Saturday, the study grant is paid on the following Monday.
The payment date is the 4th of each month until the end of 2017.
You do not have to pay tax on the housing supplement.