How to apply for disability allowance for persons under 16 years
Disability allowance for persons under 16 years is awarded for the child. Applications can be submitted on the child’s behalf by either guardian. The guardians must agree which of them will apply and which account the allowance should be paid into.
Apply for disability allowance for persons under 16 years online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.
- Send the application using the OmaKela e-service:
- Save the completed claim form on your device. Note that the claim must be in PDF format.
- . Go to Asioi toisen henkilön puolesta (Act on behalf of another person).
- Select Tee hakemus. It is only available in Finnish and Swedish. Select Vammaistuet and then 16 vuotta täyttäneen vammaistuki – tee hakemus.
- Select the claim on your device and press Lähetä.
- When you send your claim online you don’t need to sign it.
- Enclose a medical statement C describing the child’s current health status (or other equivalent medical documentation). The statement must have been issued within the last six months. Send the documents via OmaKela after you have submitted your claim. If they are paper documents, you can photograph or scan them.
Another option is to send the application by mail. Sign the application and send it with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.
You can also hand it in at a Kela service point.
When to apply
Kela can award the allowance retrospectively for a maximum of six months.
To avoid interruptions in the payment of the allowance, file your application for continued payment and related documents in good time. Applications for continued payment of the disability allowance should be filed within six months of the end of the previous payment period. Please note that Kela will need the written consent of the guardian to whom the allowance was previously paid before payments can be switched to the other guardian.
A new medical statement is usually needed for an application for increased benefit.