Reimbursements of travel costs
You can get a reimbursement for your travel costs from Kela if you travel to a public or private healthcare provider for one of the following reasons:
- getting vaccinated for COVID-19
- rehabilitation (you must have a decision about the rehabilitation from Kela or the public healthcare system).
What does Kela reimburse?
The reimbursement you can get for travel costs is determined on the basis of
- the nearest available place of treatment
- the least expensive means of transport
- the costs exceeding a fixed copayment.
The least expensive means of transport is typically public transport (e.g. train or bus). If you cannot use public transport because of your health or difficult travel arrangements, you can be reimbursed also for using your own car or a taxi. More information about using different means of transport and the reimbursements available.
You pay a copayment of up to 25 euros for each trip. Your maximum copayment limit for one year is 300 euros. If you reach this amount, you will not be charged a copayment for any further trips you make in that year.