How to claim special care allowance
Stop receiving paper mail and speed up the handling of your Kela matters
Visit the OmaKela e-service (please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish) to give your consent to receive messages, letters and decision notices from us electronically. You will be notified by text message or e-mail whenever you have new mail in OmaKela.
Claim special care allowance online
- Claim special care allowance online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only.
- Scan or take a photo of the supporting documents and send them over the internet. Enclose with the claim:
- D-medical certificate stating the child's illness and the need for the guardian's involvement in the child's care.
- If you are an employee, a certificate from the employer that you will not be paid wages.
- The special care allowance is determined on the basis of an annual income. Kela usually receives information on wages and salaries from the national incomes register, so this information need not be reported to Kela separately. .
- In the personal information section of the e-service site, you can see whether your claim has been decided and the amount you will receive.
When to claim
Submit your claim within 4 months of the first day of treatment for your child.