How to claim special care allowance | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

How to claim special care allowance

Stop receiving paper mail and speed up the handling of your Kela matters

Visit the OmaKela e-service (please note that our e-service is only available in Finnish and Swedish) to give your consent to receive messages, letters and decision notices from us electronically. You will be notified by text message or e-mail whenever you have new mail in OmaKela.

Do as follows if you wish to give up paper documents

Claim special care allowance online

Claim now
  1. Claim special care allowance online. Please note that the e-service is available in Finnish and Swedish only. 
  2. Scan or take a photo of the supporting documents and send them over the internet. Enclose with the claim:
    • D-medical certificate stating the child's illness and the need for the guardian's involvement in the child's care.
    • If you are an employee, a certificate from the employer that you will not be paid wages.
    • The special care allowance is determined on the basis of an annual income. Kela usually receives information on wages and salaries from the national incomes register, so this information need not be reported to Kela separately.  Read more on the annual income.
  3. In the personal information section of the e-service site, you can see whether your claim has been decided and the amount you will receive.

Alternatively you can complete and print out  a claim for special care allowance form (SV 89e, PDF). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA.

When to claim

Submit your claim within 4 months of the first day of treatment for your child.

Read more

Last modified 16/2/2024

What do you think of this page?