How to book a taxi
If you have the right to use a taxi and get reimbursed by Kela, call the regional dispatch number to book a taxi. That way you will get reimbursed straight away and will only pay up to the amount of the appropriate copayment. Please be aware that if you book a taxi in some other way, Kela will not reimburse you for the trip.
- Call to book a taxi by 2 pm the previous day. You should call the regional number also if you need a taxi unexpectedly or forgot to book a taxi on the preceding day. You can book the trips that you know you will make in the next 14 days all at the same time.
- The dispatcher will tell you when the taxi will pick you up. Please note that there may be other passengers sharing the ride with you, which may affect how long the trip takes. Learn more about ride sharing.
- If the taxi does not arrive at the agreed time, call the regional dispatch centre again.
- If the details of your trip change or you wish to cancel a transportation request, call the regional dispatch centre immediately.
- Remember to present your Kela card to the driver before the trip.
Customers with the right to a familiar taxi driver
If your driver will no longer accept Kela-reimbursed rides after 1 July 2018, contact your regional dispatch centre to find out how to have a familiar driver.
When you wish to book a taxi, you will be asked the following information:
- your reason for needing a taxi (health status or challenging travel arrangements)
- your name and personal identity code
- your pick-up address
- your destination (e.g. hospital)
- latest possible time of arrival at the place of treatment
- any assistive devices you use and whether you need to stop at a pharmacy
- any person accompanying you
- the phone number where you can be reached.
Calls to your regional dispatch number are free of charge.
If you don’t know which region your municipality belongs to, please refer to the list of municipalities (pdf, in Finnish).
|Region||Dispatch number||Service provider|
|Southern Ostrobothnia||0800 99 090||Seinäjoen Keskustaksi Oy|
|Etelä-Savo||0800 302245||Pro-Keskus Oy|
|Etelä-Karjala||0800 50 123||Taksi Saimaa Oy|
|Kainuu||0800 93 153||Kainuun Taksivälitys Oy|
|Kanta-Häme||0800 98 821||Tampereen Aluetaksi Oy|
|Central and Northern Ostrobothnia||0800 93 150 (Finnish),
0800 93 151 (Swedish)
|Pohjois-Suomen Taksi Oy|
|Keski-Suomi||0800 30 22 59||Pro-Keskus Oy|
|Kymenlaakso||0800 30 2333||Kymenlaakson Taksi Oy|
|Lapland||0800 30 2240||Pro-Keskus Oy|
|Pirkanmaa||0800 98 811||Tampereen Aluetaksi Oy|
|Pohjanmaa||0800 99 000||Vaasan Ulataksi Oy|
|Pohjois-Karjala||0800 30 2255||Pro-Keskus Oy|
|Pohjois-Savo||0800 30 2250||Pro-Keskus Oy|
|Päijät-Häme||0800 9 4220||Taksi-Päijänne Oy|
|Satakunta||0800 12 0001||Lounais-Suomen Taxidata Oy|
|Uusimaa||0800 96 130 (Finnish),
0800 96 140 (Swedish)
|Varsinais-Suomi||0800 13 0001 (Finnish),
0800 13 0002 (Swedish)
|Lounais-Suomen Taxidata Oy|
Calls to the dispatch centre are recorded for quality assurance. Kela may sometimes check a transport request afterwards. The information you provide over the phone will not be used for any other purpose than as required to arrange the trip and process the reimbursement. The data controller within the meaning of the Personal Data Act is Kela.
Customers with a hearing or speech impairment
Customers with a hearing or speech impairment can book a taxi by sending a text message. However, the customer's personal information must be provided over the phone before the first ride. Instructions for how to book a taxi by text message will be provided at the same time.
Check if your service provider will change
There will be changes to some taxi service providers on 1 July 2018. In order to continue using text messages to book a taxi, you must call the regional dispatch number the first time you wish to book a taxi after 1 July 2018.
|Central and Northern Ostrobothnia||0800 93150 (Finnish), 0800 93152 (Swedish)|
|Central Finland||0800 302259|
Customer feedback and questions
If you wish to give feedback or if you have questions about your trip, contact your regional dispatch centre.