How to apply for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension
Apply for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension online
Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.
- Apply for a rehabilitation subsidy or a disability pension in (available in Finnish and Swedish) if you have not accumulated any earnings-related pension or its amount is less than .
- If you have accumulated even a small amount of earnings-related pension, you should also apply for the rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension as an earnings-related pension. In the OmaKela e-service, you can apply for an earnings-related pension, too.
- You can find more information about the rehabilitation subsidy and disability pension provided by your authorised pension provider on your pension provider's website. If you do not know your own authorised pension provider, you can check it on .
- Scan or take a photo of the attachments and send them online. Enclose with your application:
- a medical statement B that is up to six months old, and any other documents describing your health (in order to decide your application, we also need a treatment or rehabilitation plan drawn up by your healthcare provider, which can be included in the medical statement or submitted as a separate document)
- , if you are a farmer
- , if you have lived or worked in some other country besides Finland.
In order to apply for an extension to your rehabilitation subsidy, submit to Kela a new medical statement (a medical statement B, a separate treatment or rehabilitation plan, a medical statement E, or a patient record) that includes your doctor’s viewpoint on the duration of your incapacity for work. You do not need to submit a new application, because whether or not the rehabilitation subsidy will be extended will be decided based on the medical statement.
Visit the OmaKela e-service (available in Finnish and Swedish) to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when your benefits will be paid. You can also see possible reminders concerning, for instance, any documents missing from your application. You will also receive a decision letter in the mail.
Alternatively, you can complete and print out the form titled . Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA. Please note that we will start processing your application faster if you submit it in the OmaKela e-service.
Please note that you can use the same application to apply for a pension in another EU or EEA country, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, or any country that has a social security agreement with Finland. .
When to apply
Submit your application in good time. Disability pension awards can normally be backdated for no more than 6 months.
When needed, register as unemployed jobseeker
If your application has not yet been decided when your sickness allowance or sick pay ends and returning to work is not possible, or if your disability pension application is rejected, do as follows:
- Register as an unemployed jobseeker immediately according to the instructions of the . The jobseeker status cannot be backdated. Renew your status as an unemployed jobseeker regularly.
State that you are looking for a full-time job. Only jobseekers who are looking for a full-time job are eligible for unemployment benefits. Jobseekers on partial disability pension may apply for part-time work.
Register as a jobseeker even if you have a valid employment relationship. Also, submit to Kela or your authorised pension provider a statement from your employer indicating that your employer is unable to offer you work which is consistent with your work capacity.
Report changes in your circumstances
If your application is rejected
If Kela or your authorised pension provider rejects your application for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension, you should find out if you can return to work or if you are entitled to any . You can also apply for . It is also possible to appeal the decision.