How to apply for disability pension or rehabilitation subsidy | Our Services | KelaSkip to content

How to apply for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension

A disability pension can be payable for a specified time period or indefinitely. A fixed-term disability pension is called a rehabilitation subsidy. Read more about disability pension and rehabilitation subsidy.

Apply for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension online

Send the application and supporting documents online. Log in to the e-service using your online banking codes or a mobile certificate.

Apply for benefit
  1. Apply for a rehabilitation subsidy or a disability pension in OmaKela (available in Finnish and Swedish) if you have not accumulated any earnings-related pension or its amount is less than the income limit specified by Kela.
    • If you have accumulated even a small amount of earnings-related pension, you should also apply for the rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension as an earnings-related pension. In the OmaKela e-service, you can apply for an earnings-related pension, too.
    • You can find more information about the rehabilitation subsidy and disability pension provided by your authorised pension provider on your pension provider's website. If you do not know your own authorised pension provider, you can check it on the työelä website.
  2. Scan or take a photo of the attachments and send them online. Enclose with your application:
    • a medical statement B that is up to six months old, and any other documents describing your health (in order to decide your application, we also need a treatment or rehabilitation plan drawn up by your healthcare provider, which can be included in the medical statement or submitted as a separate document)
    • Appendix TM MelaKela 001 (in Finnish) (pdf), if you are a farmer
    • Appendix U Etk/Kela 7110e (pdf), if you have lived or worked in some other country besides Finland.
  3. In order to apply for an extension to your rehabilitation subsidy, submit to Kela a new medical statement (a medical statement B, a separate treatment or rehabilitation plan, a medical statement E, or a patient record) that includes your doctor’s viewpoint on the duration of your incapacity for work. You do not need to submit a new application, because whether or not the rehabilitation subsidy will be extended will be decided based on the medical statement. 

  4. In addition to a disability pension, you can apply to Kela for

  5. Visit the OmaKela e-service (available in Finnish and Swedish) to see if your application has been decided, how much you will get and when your benefits will be paid. You can also see possible reminders concerning, for instance, any documents missing from your application. You will also receive a decision letter in the mail.

Alternatively, you can complete and print out the form titled Application - Rehabilitation subsidy/Disability pension EtkKela 7002e (pdf). Mail your application along with the supporting documents to Kela, PL 10, 00056 KELA. Please note that we will start processing your application faster if you submit it in the OmaKela e-service. 

If interacting with Kela is challenging for you personally, you can authorise another person to do so on your behalf. If you wish to discuss your matters more thoroughly with a Kela expert, book an appointment with Kela’s phone service.

Please note that you can use the same application to apply for a pension in another EU or EEA country, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, or any country that has a social security agreement with Finland. Read more about applying for a pension from abroad (

When to apply

Submit your application in good time. Disability pension awards can normally be backdated for no more than 6 months.

When needed, register as unemployed jobseeker

If your application has not yet been decided when your sickness allowance or sick pay ends and returning to work is not possible, or if your disability pension application is rejected, do as follows:

  • Register as an unemployed jobseeker immediately according to the instructions of the TE Services (työ The jobseeker status cannot be backdated. Renew your status as an unemployed jobseeker regularly.
    State that you are looking for a full-time job. Only jobseekers who are looking for a full-time job are eligible for unemployment benefits. Jobseekers on partial disability pension may apply for part-time work.
    Register as a jobseeker even if you have a valid employment relationship. Also, submit to Kela or your authorised pension provider a statement from your employer indicating that your employer is unable to offer you work which is consistent with your work capacity.

Report changes in your circumstances 

Remember to report any changes in your circumstances to Kela, so that your benefits can be paid correctly. The payment of benefits is affected by such things as starting work or study, your health or work capacity improving, and discontinuing rehabilitation.

If your application is rejected 

If Kela or your authorised pension provider rejects your application for rehabilitation subsidy or disability pension, you should find out if you can return to work or if you are entitled to any unemployment benefits. You can also apply for vocational or medical rehabilitation. It is also possible to appeal the decision.  

Read more

Last modified 14/2/2024

What do you think of this page?